Three campaign ads from Ronald Reagan’s unsuccessful presidential primary run in 1976, and four press-conference-style meetings of Governor Reagan with high school students, have been added to California Light and Sound.
One videotape in the group includes an unexpected bonus: a public service announcement about seat belts starring Reagan, who urges viewers to “belt yourself.” It joins similar public safety television ads from the 1970s, one in which football quarterback John Hadl promotes motorcycle helmets and another in which baseball player Frank Edwin “Tug” McGraw Jr. advocates bicycle safety.
The newly digitized videorecordings are:
- Reagan presidential campaign ad: “Foreign Policy”
- Reagan presidential campaign ad: “Gun Control”
- Reagan presidential campaign statement
- Governor and the Students: Encina and Oak Grove High Schools
- Governor and the Students: Loretto High School
- Governor and the Students: Sacramento High School
- Governor and the Students: Jesuit High School
The videotapes are from two collections at Hoover Institute , the Citizens for Reagan Records and The Governor and the Students Videotape Series.